Self cleaning Frigidaire oven enables you to keep the appliance in perfect condition. And they are offering you a delightful kitchen experience.
A self cleaning Frigidaire oven is a great way to cut down on the time you spend doing housework, but a lot of users don’t know how to use it correctly.
In the following lines, you will find everything you need to know about the self-cleaning function.
How to Clean Frigidaire Oven?
Generally speaking, the “self-cleaning” feature will bake away all the dirt and stains at a very high temperature (about 500°F), turning them into powder.
Then you can remove it with ease. There are a few things you must complete first because the extreme temperature have a high risk of burns and could destroy other oven major components:
Remove all the External Racks and Shelves
You must take everything out of the dirty oven before cleaning it because the temperature is so high that anything like the grates or food kept in the warmer or storage drawer may be harmed.
Lock the Door, and Set the Controls
Now close and lock the door, then start to check the manual for detailed instructions, because some modern ovens will automatically lock the door.
Can you see the self-clean control pad? Perfect, now press it. The cycle will run for its standard duration of 3 hrs, which is indicated by the display at 3:00.
You can change this by touching the Y or B pad, which ranges from 2:00 (light cleaning level) to 4:00 (deep cleaning level). Select Y to lengthen the time and B to shorten it.
Allow the Cycle to Proceed
Once you have secured the door, selected Clean, and set the cycle cleaning time. You’re your oven will automatically begin the cleaning cycle.
After the cycle is finished, give the oven at least an hour and a half to cool before opening the door.
If the oven door has an automatic lock option, and you found it is still locked while trying to open it, it means that the oven is still hot, so you should give it more time to cool down.
It is worth mentioning that you can use the time delay function to set the cycle to begin at a specific time, such as at 2 a.m. when nobody needs to use the oven.
After deciding on the cleaning duration, hit the Stop Time key and choose the time of day you want the oven to turn off using the Y and B keys.
When you press the Clean key one more, DELAY CLEAN will appear on the screen. According to how long you chose, the cycle will start anywhere between 2 and 4 hrs before the stop time.
Cancel the Cleaning Cycle
If it is taking too long for the door to be unlocked, then you need to press the Cancel button to end the cleaning cycle. The reason is obviously that the door will keep being locked if it has an automatic locking feature until the oven has cooled down.
However, you will need to hold your horses for at least 1.5 hours for the oven to cool before opening the door, in case it has a manual lock.
Should You Self-Clean?
Actually, it is questionable, as it mainly depends on how old your oven is. If you are a starter, never, ever leave an oven to clean itself without being there to ensure everything is proceeding according to plan.
Make sure you also never open the door, the reason is the rush of air could start a serious fire if old oil or other pieces of sugary food debris do catch fire while cleaning.
You would be amazed at how frequently advanced ovens burn out due to excessive smoke, because of the featured electrical circuits that are vulnerable to burning
So, due to the fact that around 20% of quick-response service calls come from problems with self-cleaning ovens, it is always preferred to only self-clean while your warranty is still in effect, so in case of anything happens you be able to check with the oven manufacturers.
One more reason that it is not actually recommended to let your oven self clean is other legitimate worries, that include things like the toxic fumes, which can have potential hazards on young children and pet birds.
Use the Self-Cleaning Option Sparingly
Ovens that clean themselves have more than a downside. In fact, at least one appliance repair experts advise utilizing the self-cleaning mode cycle rarely or maybe never at all, for these main reasons:
- The Teflon special coating found in some models of self-cleaning feature ovens can produce gases that are health hazard and can trigger allergic responses in those with breathing issues and respiratory diseases since they can’t withstand intense heat.
- During the self cleaning mode cycle, carbon monoxide emissions are released in high amounts.
- the cycle produces vapors of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), which can be harmful to animals, particularly birds.
- In electric ovens, the self-cleaning component uses more efficient energy than the conventional cooking elements and could trip the breaker.
Other Ways to Clean Your Oven
You can always use chemical oven cleaners to clean your self-cleaning oven, but it is super important to pick up a model that is made specifically for this purpose because harsh oven cleaners most of the time do leave behind a residue that emits harmful gas fumes.
As an alternative, you can follow this trusted method, which is suggested by an appliance technician.
Turn off the oven after it has heated to 150 degrees, then place a pan of boiling water on the bottom shelf and a 1/2 cup of ammonia on the top tier.
The next step is to close the door and let the ammonia fumes magic happens overnight. On the next day, remove the pan of the ammonia, and wash the sides of the oven with a mixture of water and dishwashing liquid.
Self-Cleaning Frigidaire Oven Cycle Repair Tips
- Scrape the oven bottom with a metal spatula to loosen larger food particles. You may use an old toothbrush or nylon scrub brush. Rinse off any residue or leftover food particles with water.
- Spray some baking soda on the oven bottom and leave it for 5 minutes. Then sprinkle white vinegar over the baking soda paste and leave it for another 5 minutes. Scrub this mixture into the burner plate with a nylon scrub brush. Then rinse all residue before turning on the oven.
- Rinse out the baked-on grease filters by soaking them in dish soap and hot water (be sure they are not metal or stainless steel). Then wash with warm water.
- Remove the oven rack (do not place them in self-clean mode) and soak them in warm soapy water. This will help get rid of any waste that may be the reason why your Frigidaire self-cleaning oven is not working properly. Ensure that all the oven racks are dry before placing them back into the self cleaning Frigidaire oven.
- With a Damp cloth with vinegar, wipe the oven walls, floor, and ceiling to remove harmful fumes residue. Make sure to wash and dry completely before using the oven again.
- Check the electronic oven controls: If your oven’s control gauge is flawed or damaged, call for service or replace it yourself. Be sure the oven is unplugged before taking apart any wires attached to the control unit.
- When removing screws and panels on the inside, be careful not to damage your oven.
- Check the oven door lock: Make sure the door closes securely and that you hear a click when it latches to the locking position mechanism in place. If you recently had an appliance repairman, check your oven to find that it’s still not working, then call him back for advice or to correct his work.
- Check the oven circuit breaker or fuse: Unplug stainless steel or white porcelain knobs to clean them with a nylon scrub brush and dish soap. Rinse all parts and dry thoroughly before replacing knobs.
Reasons Why Your Oven isn’t Self-Cleaning
1-Defective door locking mechanism motor and switch assembly
If you notice your self-cleaning feature is not working, check the door lock motor and switch assembly is not degrading. If you need to replace one or both, do not attempt it yourself. Call for service right away.
2-Faulty thermal fuse safety self cleaning oven feature
It might be that the thermal fuse safety features have gone faulty, If this is the case, it will need to be replaced with a new one before using your Frigidaire oven again. Call for service right away.
Note: do not try to come near the oven thermostat yourself, or you could cause more harm than good. If you feel as if the oven will no longer self clean itself.
Follow these Instructions
- Turn off the power of the oven from the electrical gas ranges, circuit breaker, or fuse box.
- Disconnect the stove from the power source.
- Remove any racks in your oven.
- Remove anything that is covering or blocking the top heating element from coming out.
- Take off the casing cover by removing all required screws. Then remove the heater element and replace the thermal fuse safety self cleaning oven feature if needed before reassembling.
- Check that all parts are free of cracks or damage, then reassemble your Frigidaire oven.
- Turn the circuit breaker on, place the racks back inside and gently push them to check if they slide in easily without coming out.
- Adjust the heat temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Then ensure all parts are working correctly before using your Frigidaire oven again.
3-Defective oven door switch
It might be that the oven door switch is going faulty. If this is the case, it will need to be replaced before using your Frigidaire oven again. Calling for service immediately is better than working on this yourself.
4-No oven light
If your oven does not have an oven light, locate the oven door switch, and remove it. Then look at where the oven lamp wires go through to ensure the connection between the oven door switch and oven lamp.
Note: you will need to reinstall the oven door switch to ensure that the oven light works correctly.
Note: oven lamp may need to be replaced if the oven door switch does not work.
Check oven light bulbs by removing oven racks, oven bottom panel, and oven lamp cover to inspect oven light bulbs for loose connections, broken wires, and filaments that are sticking out or will not come out of the socket.
5-Malfunctioning bake or broil element
Bake and broil elements must be adequately working when you bake or broil food in your Frigidaire oven. Since if they do not reach the correct oven temperature or overheat.
They potentially can cause a fire. If the bake or broil element does not come out of its socket when removing the oven racks or bottom panel.
Then this is a sign that the bake or broil element needs to be replaced. An open bake element will also need replacement.
For safety, call for service before attempting any operation on bake or broil element by yourself.
To avoid bake or broil element replacement problems. You always need to use the recommended bake or broil racks inside the frigidaire self-cleaning stove during your baking process.
6-Faulty temperature control sensor
Suppose your oven temperature does not reach the recommended high temperature. Then you should check the local electric supply for the correct electric range of the cooktop.
If the electric range is proper and still will not get to the desired oven temperature. Then check for faulty or loose wire connections at the terminal block and a faulty high-temperature control sensor before further diagnostics.
To reset the thermal sensors, turn the oven off, wait five minutes, and turn it on again.
Contacting the electric company if it still does not get up to the desired oven temperature is best.
7-The malfunctioning oven control board
If your Frigidaire type of oven will not bake or broil and you have checked all the above items. Then check to ensure your oven control board is receiving power.
Check for loose wire connections, broken wire, or wire that has come out of the terminal block.
Suppose there are no loose wire connections at the terminal block. It would be best that you replace the mainboard connectors if they are defective.
The oven control board connectors must be programmed after a replacement is done by calling for service.
FAQs about How to Use the Self Cleaning Frigidaire Oven?
How do I unlock my locked Kenmore self cleaning Frigidaire oven?
If your Kenmore oven is in locked safety mode, it will not allow you to operate the oven. As long as there are kids around this locking mechanism, the Feature is enabled.
Turn the power off at its circuit breaker inside the house to unlock the oven door of a Kenmore Frigidaire range. Then switch it on after 5 minutes.
Kenmore Frigidaire range oven door will unlock after finishing the self-clean cycle.
What is the difference between steam clean and self clean?
Self-Cleaning ovens allow you to switch from bake to clean function in just a few minutes with only the push of a button.
The steam typical cleaning mathod is when you add a few tablespoons of water and cleaning solution directly into the baking cavity. Then set the oven for up to 2 hours. Steam oven cleaner gets into every corner between racks, walls, and food to help loosen burnt-on messes.
The steam mixture turns into a dry residue that’s easily wiped away without harsh chemicals or cleaner fumes.
While the oven is steaming, you can open the door but do not remove racks from the oven. Then place the rack in the oven before powering up. Since the door will close automatically after placing them.
Can I stop an oven self cleaning Frigidaire oven cycle?
No. the Self-Clean cycle automatically starts and cannot be stopped the mid-self clean cycle. Or your oven will not be cleaned properly.
Then you need to open the oven door manually as it looks down automatically during the self clean cycle.
During the Self-Clean cycle, the appearance of your oven may change slightly over time. This is normal. When you open the oven door during the Self-Cleaning process, some water droplets may escape due to the high heat applied inside the self clean oven cycle.
Once the oven has cooled down, wipe up any water drops on the oven’s exterior with a dry cloth.
How to cancel self-clean on frigidaire oven?
The self-clean feature can be turned off in many ways according to the frigidaire oven model.
The process will typically be aborted if the stove is turned off. In this instance, the display will read “SCC,” but the door will remain in the locked position until the temperature drops.
Is it OK to be in the house when the oven is self-cleaning?
It is safe to use the self-clean option when you are at home, yes the burning plastic smell may frighten you, but it is still partially safe. yes, partially not completely especially if you have birds because the cycle produces vapors of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), which can be harmful to them.
Also During the self-cleaning cycle, carbon monoxide is released in high amounts.
What happens if you leave the racks in a self-cleaning oven?
Normal operating temperatures for the “self-cleaning” feature are double or triple the temperature used for the normal cooking process.
This means that leaving the racks in place while the machine is self-cleaning may cause the metal to get discolored, lose its luster, and harm the coating that makes it easy for the racks to glide in and out.
The Self Cleaning cycle eliminates 99.9% of bacteria and pieces of food debris in your oven for up to an hour without exposing you to pricey chemical cleaners. This advanced technology also prevents buildup on oven racks, walls, and door seals, leading to corrosion over time.
And with Frigidaire patented Steam Clean option, it only takes 2 hours instead of 6! That means less hassle when something burns onto one of your pans.