First: How to use a sharpening steel?
Step 1: Position the sharpening steel
For using the honing steel correctly, you have to hold down the steel with your nondominant hand firmly from its handle. then Position the opposite end on the surface of your workstation.
Apply maximum pressure to guarantee that it is stable and controlled, to avoid slippage.
Step 2: Properly hold the sharpening steel
Hold the steel to increase the protection for your fingertips. Then wrap them around the knife handle to avoid any contact with the edges.
Step 3: Angle the sharpening steel
Start running the kitchen knife against the steel rod in a sweeping motion. While positioning one side of the knife at the angle of 15 degrees, lightly contact the steel tip.
Gently slide the knife blade down the honing rod length. Then, just before you hit the countertop. Move the knife edge back up to the top of the handle, but leave the other side of the blade in contact with the steel pole. Glide downward again.
What to consider when using a sharpening steel?
- When sharpening your knife with a sharpening rod, make sure the length of the steel is longer than the length of the knife blade being sharpened.
- After the sharpening process is done, thoroughly wash and dry the steel.
- Make sure the kitchen knife is razor-sharp by cutting a paper or a tomato.
Second: How to use an electric sharpener?
if you’re asking how to sharpen a knife effectively, the answer is by using an electric sharpener. It is the most effective and convenient sharpening method to sharpen your blades. Since they polish, refine, and reshape your edges.
Best electric sharpeners feature between two or three motorized grinding wheels with numerous levels of grits and coarseness.
Chef’s Choice Trizor XV Edge Select Professional Electric Knife is one of the best electric sharpeners on the market. And is highly recommended by all professional chefs.
- Advanced, patented flexible spring guides for automatic adjustment and accurate control
- 3-Stage EdgeSelect sharpening system for optimum versatility
- The 15 Trizor XV combines the strength and durability of the Trizor edge with the flawless
Keep in mind when you start sharpening your knives, you need to start with the coarsest level and go down to the finest. Here is how to sharpen a knife using an electric knife sharpener.
Step 1: Begin by pressing the knife’s heel as close to the grinding wheels as possible. Pull the kitchen knife towards you, allowing the knife blade to slide slowly until you reach the tip of the knife edge.
Step 2: The knife blade should be angled at 15 to 20 degrees. When the kitchen knife handle is moved through the slot and aligned to the grinding stone, the sharpener automatically adjusts the angle.
Step 3: Due to the extreme reliability of electric sharpeners, you need to run the blade through the grinders twice on either side. To refine and polish the knife’s edge.
Step 4: when you’ve done grinding your blade with the coarsest stone, Change to a finer grit and slide the blade’s two sides twice. And keep going until you get the shape you want.
Check also, Best Bread Knife Review
What to consider when using an electric sharpener?
- An electric knife sharpener is not suitable for those knives that feature a safety bolster. Since this may result in an uneven grinding of the knife’s heel, and that can damage your blade.
- To ensure the maximum quality out of your sharpener. It would help if you made sure that the blade would fit perfectly into the grinder before starting sharpening.
- You need to be extra cautious during the sharpening procedure. Since using electric sharpeners may remove extra metal from the blade than you need. (check the things to consider when buying an electric sharpener).
Third: How to use a manual sharpener?
The most affordable and straightforward technique to maintain the sharpness of your knives and longevity is the manual sharpeners. Also referred to as the pull-through sharpeners.
The best manual sharpeners are designed with two grinding slots. One is the coarse grit for sharpening your dull blade. And another fine grit for polishing and refining it.
One of the best manual sharpeners available on the market is Chef’s Choice 463 Pronto Diamond Hone Manual knife sharpener
- The fastest manual Santoku and 15 degree style knife sharpener available
- 2-Stages, sharpening and honing/polishing, for an arch-shaped edge that is stronger and more durable
- “Soft Touch” handle for an easy and secure grip
Here is how to sharpen a knife using a manual knife sharpener.
Step 1: Place the knife in the course slot of the sharpener, start from the heel up to the edge tip. Then, apply even pressure and slide your blades about six or seven times.
Read more , How to Care for Your Paring Knife?
Fourth: How to use a whetstone?
Here is how to sharpen a knife using a whetstone. First, decide which whetstone serves your knives best. (take a look at the best whetstone sharpener).
Then straighten and clean your whetstone. Since after frequent usage, they produce an even grit that can damage your knives. (check how to clean and use whetstone sharpeners).
Now follow these steps:
Step 1: place your sharpening stone on a wet towel on a flat surface. to avoid slippage.
Step 2: start lubricating your stone (if needed). Then sharpen the knife’s edge with the top coarse side. it is the fastest way to return the knife into its proper shape.
Step 3: adjust your sharpening angle at 22.5 degrees. And slowly slide the knife in a flowing move down and across the stone. Starting with the heel up to the tip.
Step 4: Repeat this move five times. Then repeat on the other side and do the same until you reach the sharpness you want.
Step 5: flip your stone to the finer grit and repeat the same steps as above.
Also read , How to Hone Your Knife?
FAQ About How to Sharpen a Knife
What are the advantages of sharpening your knives?
Here is why you should frequently sharpen your knives.
Dull knives can squish the skin and interiors of your foods and can lead to inducing color changes and wear off. a dull knife also slows your process down.
Knife sharpening offers you sharp blades that are efficient enough to make the meal prep easier and more enjoyable.
Sharp blades can increase the ability to navigate and monitor the movement of your blade when working. Allowing you to cut and slice through food more easily and rapidly. And reducing the risks of your injury.
On the other hand, Dull blades are more likely to slip, which leads to reducing the power and stability of your knives.
A few rounds at a sharpening shop would cost more than a collection of stones that could serve you a lifetime. So whatever your budget is, you will find a sharpening tool that suits it.
Read more , How to shuck oysters without an oyster knife
Why do we need to sharpen our knives?
Using a dull knife is a nightmare for most professional chefs. It needs more effort and has a high risk of slippage and injuries. While a sharp knife performs great in cutting and slicing food.
It lets you work safely and faster. And will cause less damage to your food.
What are the advantages & disadvantages of electric knife sharpeners?
– Sharpening knives with electric sharpeners are fast and quick.
– For extremely damaged blades. Electric sharpeners accomplish the job more effectively than manual ones.
– Requires no experience and so straightforward to use.
– Suitable for all types of blades, even for your serrated knife.
– Convenient and effortless.
– You may feel not in full control over the sharpener
– They tend to be a bit on the expensive side.
What are the advantages & disadvantages of electric knife sharpeners?
- Sharpening knives with electric sharpeners are fast and quick.
- For extremely damaged blades. Electric sharpeners accomplish the job more effectively than manual ones.
- Requires no experience and so straightforward to use.
- Suitable for all types of blades, even for your serrated knife.
- Convenient and effortless.
- You may feel not in full control over the sharpener
- They tend to be a bit on the expensive side.
Also check, What are the Benefits of Oysters?
These were the easiest and fastest ways to sharpen a knife. We believe that now you know the answer to “how to sharpen a knife question”!